Teachers: Mrs Mills
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Beech and Miss Foster
This half term, we will be learning...
- Maths – We will be looking at Place Value within 10, identifying and writing number names and numerals as well as knowing one more and one less than a given number. We will become familiar with mathematical statements using +, - and = signs.
- English – We will be using The Night Pirates by Peter Harris as a basis to write our own sequenced narratives securing our abilities to use capital letters and full stops.
- Science – We will be looking at the properties and uses of different materials.
- DT – We will be exploring textiles to make a pirate flag.
- Geography – Continuing our pirate topic, we will learn about the geography of the UK and its surrounding seas. We will also learn about geographical language and compass points.
- RE – Our RE topic will be looking at how we know when we’re being ‘good’.
- Music – We will be using ‘Sun, Sea and Song’ online resources to learn songs associated with pirates and the sea.
- PSHE – Our Jigsaw topic will focus on ‘Being Me’.
PE lessons take place every Tuesday. Please make sure PE kits are brought in at the start of each half term and are left in school.
Please ensure your child brings a water bottle to school each day.
Homework is given out every Thursday and is due back the following Tuesday. This will alternate between English and Maths and will also include a discussion task.
Spellings will be given out every Thursday and will focus on common exception words and phonic spelling patterns. Please help your child to practise these words ready for ongoing assessment.
Children will have access to free milk and fruit every day and can also bring in 30p to purchase an extra snack when available at break time if they wish.
National Curriculum requirements at Year 1 state that children should re-read texts to increase their enjoyment and understanding. Home reading books will be changed as soon as possible after it can be seen from their reading record that your child has read their book to an adult at least twice and understands it. Please listen to your child read as often as you can and write a comment in their reading record when you have done so. All children need to bring their home reading book to school EVERY day.
Over the holidays, please keep reading with your children! Also, please remember to return your child's PE kit when we come back to school. Thank you!
Dates for the Diary
On Friday 19th January, Year 1, Year 1/2 and Year 2 will be having a Parents' Open Morning from 9AM to 9:30AM! For more information, please speak to your child's teacher.